The Office of Emergency Management instills a culture of preparedness while enhancing and improving the disaster resiliency of the University by mitigating against, preparing for, responding to, and recovering from emergencies.
Meet the Lert
No one knows the true origin of Kurt the Lert. Some say he’s the result of an experiment gone wrong in Gottwald; some say he rose from Westhampton Lake. But what we do know is he seems to look like many of the different animals you might see around campus, all rolled into one. You can see some deer, fox, duck, and squirrel, and maybe a little superhero in there. But the most important thing is that he is alert. He’s prepared for any hazard he may encounter — whether it’s ice and snow or wind and tornadoes, Kurt the Lert is ready.
Are you alert?
UR Public Safety on Facebook
- With storms in this afternoon's forecast it is a good time to remember...
- Congratulations, Brittany Schaal on your election to chair of the Virginia Emergency Management Association Institutions of Higher Education Caucus for the State of Virginia.
- VEHICLE SAFETY CHECK DAY ABSOLUTELY FREE For you and your car 11 AM TO 3 PM April 22nd Special Events Lot (B-5) Give your car a safety check-up and leave the checkbook at home. We have fluids and materials on hand for your car. Treat your car right and let’s keep it safe and happy. • Pizza and Drinks • Volunteers just for you and your Car. University of Richmond Police Department
- Chief Dave McCoy receives the 2016 University Staff award from Dean Merritt and International Education. Presenting the award is University President Ronald A Crutcher.
- In an effort to combat the growing epidemic of prescription drug and heroin abuse, the FBI and DEA have released "Chasing the Dragon: The Life of an Opiate Addict," a documentary aimed at educating students and young adults about the dangers of addiction. More at www.fbi.gov/ChasingTheDragon
- The University of Richmond is participating in the Statewide Tornado Drill today at 9:45 a.m. This is an active drill. Please seek shelter at posted locations or in an interior location on the lowest level of the building. Avoid windows, glass walls, and exterior doorways. During an actual threat, the outdoor warning system siren would remain continuous until the danger had passed.
- A lert knows: during a tornado, get low, low, low. Are you alert?
- March 1 marks the beginning of meteorological spring. Spring is a time of transition, when late-season snowstorms can impact the East Coast, thunderstorms rip across the South and rivers overflow their banks. Make sure you are prepared for hazardous weather this spring!
- Polar Plunge this past weekend. Three of our very own took the plunge.
- The Office of Emergency Management is sponsoring the The Kurt the Lert Poster Design Competition. Every student on campus (full-time, part-time, undergraduate, or graduate) may submit one or more designs for a new Kurt the Lert Poster. Up to 6 winning poster designs will be chosen. Each winning design will receive $250 credited to their student organization- that's a total of up $1,500 for your organization!! Learn more at http://kurtthelert.wix.com/postercompetition.
- Come chill with us at the RVA Plunge Winter Fest, Feb. 27, 2016, at a new location, The Shops at Willow Lawn. • 12pm RVA Plunge Winter Fest starts Plunge registration opens • 2pmRegistration closes Red Carpet Costume Contest begins Awards announced for costumes/fundraising stage • 2:20pm Plunge safety briefing – stage • 2:30pm The Plunge! • 4pm Winter Fest comes to a close Plunge After Party at American Taproom starts!
- With the chance of severe weather this afternoon make sure you are alert.
- February is Flood Safety Month. Know your risks and what to do before, during, and after a flood. Visit http://preparedness.richmond.edu/ for more information.
- Register early, class size limited: police.richmond.edu/forms/rad-sign-up.html
- Congratulations to Officer Dave Johnson for being awarded Employee of the Year.
URAlert on Twitter
- Tornado Drill beginning at 9:45 am. Please seek shelter in posted locations or lowest level of nearby building. Thanks for participating.
- UR ALERT: This is a test. During an actual emergency, information about the incident as well as actions to be taken would be included.
- Tornado Drill beginning at 12:55 pm. Please seek shelter in posted locations or lowest level of nearby building. Thanks for participating.
- RT @urichmond: Be Smart. Take Part. Prepare. #stormsafety #rvawx #prepareathon http://t.co/LvAimLUXQh @uralert
- The results are in...We beat VCU in the National Preparedness Month Social Media Challenge. Way to be #SpiderReady! @urichmond
- A lert visited VCU. No surprise he found out even in Ram country people are #SpiderReady! @urichmond @URichmondMag http://t.co/mLVBTygwpP
- Even though it is the last day of the SM challenge against VCU there is still time to spread the word! #SpiderReady
- Is your name on the 2014 Atlantic storm list? http://t.co/ViAPZwsRNh Hurricane season ends Nov. 30. Be #SpiderReady! @urichmond
- RT @imjoeboe: MT @uralert: Get a kit, make a plan, stay informed. @RCDeansOffice is #SpiderReady, too!
- Get a kit, make a plan, stay informed. All of our schools are #SpiderReady @richmondas @UR_RobinsSchool @URLawSchool @JepsonSchool @urscs
- RT @VDEM: For Nat’l Preparedness Month, enter to win a Red Cross preparedness kit by taking a selfie with #GetReadyVa #NatlPrep http://t.co…
- RT @Readygov: A7: Severe Weather impacts every state. Know the risk in your area! Visit: http://t.co/YnwmUw5Q6w #PrepareChat http://t.co/Ev…
- With rain on the way remember not to drive through flood waters. Turn around, don't drown! #SpiderReady @urichmond http://t.co/7YNSUHxqUa
- RT @smokey_bear: The #PrepareChat #PrepareAthon is going on right now. Learn more about what you can do to prepare for wildfires and other …
- Seniors: You never know what tomorrow will bring…https://t.co/93e5FIncrN @RCDeansOffice @WesthamptonColl #SpiderReady
- RT @RCDeansOffice: Are you #SpiderReady? Gary, one of our Area Coordinators, and his 1 month old daughter are! @URAlert http://t.co/h8xraPf…
- Join us on the Forum. @VirginiaDMV is here along with @URPolice @HenricoPolice, @VirginiaABC and @DRIVESMARTVA