The Office of Emergency Management instills a culture of preparedness while enhancing and improving the disaster resiliency of the University by mitigating against, preparing for, responding to, and recovering from emergencies.
Meet the Lert
No one knows the true origin of Kurt the Lert. Some say he’s the result of an experiment gone wrong in Gottwald; some say he rose from Westhampton Lake. But what we do know is he seems to look like many of the different animals you might see around campus, all rolled into one. You can see some deer, fox, duck, and squirrel, and maybe a little superhero in there. But the most important thing is that he is alert. He’s prepared for any hazard he may encounter — whether it’s ice and snow or wind and tornadoes, Kurt the Lert is ready.
Are you alert?
UR Public Safety on Facebook
- URPD has a new patch. How do you like it?
- It is almost that time again!!
- September 1 marks the beginning of meteorological fall. Fall is a time for back-to-school, football, and cooler temperatures. It's also the peak of hurricane season!
- How many feet between a motorist and a bicyclist should you have when passing at a reasonable speed in the State of Virginia? Effective July 1, 2014, motorists must approach and pass a bicyclist at a reasonable speed at least _____ feet to the left of the bicyclist.
- Virginia Special Olympics would like to thank the Forest Hill WaWa and their great customers for their support of the University of Richmond Police Department fundraising effort.
- No one knows the true origin of Kurt the Lert. Some say he’s the result of an experiment gone wrong in Gottwald; some say he rose from Westhampton Lake. But what we do know is he seems to look like many of the different animals you might see around campus, all rolled into one. But the most important thing is that he is alert. He’s prepared for any hazard he may encounter. Are you alert?
- The Ad Council and FEMA launched a new public service advertisement (PSA) to raise awareness about the importance of being prepared for emergencies.
- Road warriors feast your eyes on University of Richmond, the “most beautiful liberal arts college in America,” during Men’s Elite http://www.richmond.edu/richmond2015/
- Employee Wellness Spotlight: Officer Dave Johnson - UR Police Department http://employeewellness.richmond.edu/common/august-newsletter.pdf
- A friendly reminder for this fall!!
- As of July 8, 17 people have died from lightning strikes this year in the US. All of these deaths were avoidable. Remember to go indoors when thunder roars. For more information about lightning safety visit http://www.weather.gov/lightning
- Congratulations to Officer Dave Johnson on winning the gold in the World Police & Fire Games!
- What is an ATM skimmer? How to Avoid being Skimmed - Inspect the ATM, gas pump, or credit card reader before using it…be suspicious if you see anything loose, crooked, or damaged, or if you notice scratches or adhesive/tape residue. - When entering your PIN, block the keypad with your other hand to prevent possible hidden cameras from recording your number. - If possible, use an ATM at an inside location (less access for criminals to install skimmers). - Be careful of ATMs in tourist areas…they are a popular target of skimmers. - If your card isn’t returned after the transaction or after hitting “cancel,” immediately contact the financial institution that issued the card.
- The University of Richmond Department of Public Safety would like to wish UR Officer Dave Johnson the best of luck as he participates in World Police & Fire Games this weekend.
URAlert on Twitter
- Tornado Drill beginning at 12:55 pm. Please seek shelter in posted locations or lowest level of nearby building. Thanks for participating.
- RT @urichmond: Be Smart. Take Part. Prepare. #stormsafety #rvawx #prepareathon http://t.co/LvAimLUXQh @uralert
- The results are in...We beat VCU in the National Preparedness Month Social Media Challenge. Way to be #SpiderReady! @urichmond
- A lert visited VCU. No surprise he found out even in Ram country people are #SpiderReady! @urichmond @URichmondMag http://t.co/mLVBTygwpP
- Even though it is the last day of the SM challenge against VCU there is still time to spread the word! #SpiderReady
- Is your name on the 2014 Atlantic storm list? http://t.co/ViAPZwsRNh Hurricane season ends Nov. 30. Be #SpiderReady! @urichmond
- RT @imjoeboe: MT @uralert: Get a kit, make a plan, stay informed. @RCDeansOffice is #SpiderReady, too!
- Get a kit, make a plan, stay informed. All of our schools are #SpiderReady @richmondas @UR_RobinsSchool @URLawSchool @JepsonSchool @urscs
- RT @VDEM: For Nat’l Preparedness Month, enter to win a Red Cross preparedness kit by taking a selfie with #GetReadyVa #NatlPrep http://t.co…
- RT @Readygov: A7: Severe Weather impacts every state. Know the risk in your area! Visit: http://t.co/YnwmUw5Q6w #PrepareChat http://t.co/Ev…
- With rain on the way remember not to drive through flood waters. Turn around, don't drown! #SpiderReady @urichmond http://t.co/7YNSUHxqUa
- RT @smokey_bear: The #PrepareChat #PrepareAthon is going on right now. Learn more about what you can do to prepare for wildfires and other …
- Seniors: You never know what tomorrow will bring…https://t.co/93e5FIncrN @RCDeansOffice @WesthamptonColl #SpiderReady
- RT @ghonickel: Lorelei and I are #spiderReady with @urALert #AdventuresWithLorelei http://t.co/dTDPcWnysH
- RT @RCDeansOffice: Are you #SpiderReady? Gary, one of our Area Coordinators, and his 1 month old daughter are! @URAlert http://t.co/h8xraPf…
- Join us on the Forum. @VirginiaDMV is here along with @URPolice @HenricoPolice, @VirginiaABC and @DRIVESMARTVA
- Help us name the lert by submitting your suggestions here or on Facebook https://t.co/bYMGb9cnho #SpiderReady
- Today is the day before. #SpiderReady
- When things heat up…Make sure you’re always prepared https://t.co/v9q0C7gNiR #SpiderReady
Hurricane Season is June 1 to November 30. Are you ready? Learn more about hurricanes and what you can do to prepare.
Get hooked in the University of Richmond preparedness web by subscribing to the preparedness listserv.
Director, Emergency Management
Public Safety Department
Safety Services & Risk Management