The Office of Emergency Management instills a culture of preparedness while enhancing and improving the disaster resiliency of the University by mitigating against, preparing for, responding to, and recovering from emergencies.
Meet the Lert
No one knows the true origin of Kurt the Lert. Some say he’s the result of an experiment gone wrong in Gottwald; some say he rose from Westhampton Lake. But what we do know is he seems to look like many of the different animals you might see around campus, all rolled into one. You can see some deer, fox, duck, and squirrel, and maybe a little superhero in there. But the most important thing is that he is alert. He’s prepared for any hazard he may encounter — whether it’s ice and snow or wind and tornadoes, Kurt the Lert is ready.
Are you alert?
UR Public Safety on Facebook
- With the threat of thunderstorms this afternoon remember...
- New World Magischola (http://magischola.com/) is a four-day, live-action role-playing (LARP) event where adults participate in costume as wizards at a magical school. We want you to know that Magischola has arranged to use University facilities over the course of the summer -- June 16-19, June 23-26, July 21-24, and July 28-31. New World Magischola participants will be staying in Thomas Hall, Jeter Hall, Robins Hall, and Moore Hall; eating in the Heilman Dining Center; and using classroom space in Ryland Hall, Jepson Hall, and the International Center for each of the four three-day programs. As such, the campus community might encounter participants in masks, robes, and costumes and/or observe smoke in Ryland Hall classrooms or labs. Please be aware that this is part of the Magischola experience and Events, Conferences, and Support Services is working closely with Facilities, URPD, and other campus departments to ensure the safety of all players and the campus community. Event organizers have asked that faculty, staff, and students not interact with participants while they are on campus. If you have any questions about New World Magischola, please contact David Donaldson, operations and summer programs coordinator, at 289-8934 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Volunteer to Cheer Your applause and encouragement are an important part of our athletes’ experience, and make competitions more fun for everyone involved. So come cheer your heart out! http://specialolympicsva.org/volunteer/volunteer-to-cheer
- Today marks the official start of the Atlantic hurricane season. Hurricanes are not just powerful gusts of wind ??? they can produce dangerous amounts of rain & flooding, too. Learn how to protect your family and home from all the potential effects of hurricanes at https://www.ready.gov/
URAlert on Twitter
- Tornado Drill beginning at 9:45 am. Please seek shelter in posted locations or lowest level of nearby building. Thanks for participating.
- UR ALERT: This is a test. During an actual emergency, information about the incident as well as actions to be taken would be included.
- Tornado Drill beginning at 12:55 pm. Please seek shelter in posted locations or lowest level of nearby building. Thanks for participating.
- RT @urichmond: Be Smart. Take Part. Prepare. #stormsafety #rvawx #prepareathon http://t.co/LvAimLUXQh @uralert
- The results are in...We beat VCU in the National Preparedness Month Social Media Challenge. Way to be #SpiderReady! @urichmond
- A lert visited VCU. No surprise he found out even in Ram country people are #SpiderReady! @urichmond @URichmondMag http://t.co/mLVBTygwpP
- Even though it is the last day of the SM challenge against VCU there is still time to spread the word! #SpiderReady
- Is your name on the 2014 Atlantic storm list? http://t.co/ViAPZwsRNh Hurricane season ends Nov. 30. Be #SpiderReady! @urichmond
- RT @imjoeboe: MT @uralert: Get a kit, make a plan, stay informed. @RCDeansOffice is #SpiderReady, too!
- Get a kit, make a plan, stay informed. All of our schools are #SpiderReady @richmondas @UR_RobinsSchool @URLawSchool @JepsonSchool @urscs
- RT @VDEM: For Nat’l Preparedness Month, enter to win a Red Cross preparedness kit by taking a selfie with #GetReadyVa #NatlPrep http://t.co…
- RT @Readygov: A7: Severe Weather impacts every state. Know the risk in your area! Visit: http://t.co/YnwmUw5Q6w #PrepareChat http://t.co/Ev…
- With rain on the way remember not to drive through flood waters. Turn around, don't drown! #SpiderReady @urichmond http://t.co/7YNSUHxqUa
- RT @smokey_bear: The #PrepareChat #PrepareAthon is going on right now. Learn more about what you can do to prepare for wildfires and other …
- Seniors: You never know what tomorrow will bring…https://t.co/93e5FIncrN @RCDeansOffice @WesthamptonColl #SpiderReady
- RT @ghonickel: Lorelei and I are #spiderReady with @urALert #AdventuresWithLorelei http://t.co/dTDPcWnysH
- RT @RCDeansOffice: Are you #SpiderReady? Gary, one of our Area Coordinators, and his 1 month old daughter are! @URAlert http://t.co/h8xraPf…
- Join us on the Forum. @VirginiaDMV is here along with @URPolice @HenricoPolice, @VirginiaABC and @DRIVESMARTVA