The Office of Emergency Management instills a culture of preparedness while enhancing and improving the disaster resiliency of the University by mitigating against, preparing for, responding to, and recovering from emergencies.
Meet the Lert
No one knows the true origin of Kurt the Lert. Some say he’s the result of an experiment gone wrong in Gottwald; some say he rose from Westhampton Lake. But what we do know is he seems to look like many of the different animals you might see around campus, all rolled into one. You can see some deer, fox, duck, and squirrel, and maybe a little superhero in there. But the most important thing is that he is alert. He’s prepared for any hazard he may encounter — whether it’s ice and snow or wind and tornadoes, Kurt the Lert is ready.
Are you alert?
UR Public Safety on Facebook
- We are offering hats and t-shirts for $15 each or both for $25. Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with what size you would like.
- The University of Richmond Police Department is scheduled for an on-site assessment as part of a program to achieve accreditation by verifying it meets professional standards. Administered by the Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies, Inc. (CALEA), the accreditation program requires agencies to comply with state-of-the-art standards in four basic areas: policy and procedures, administration, operations, and support services. As part of the on-site assessment, agency employees and members of the community are invited to offer comments. For more information about offering comments, please follow the link to the University of Richmond Police Department website. http://police.richmond.edu/
- Electronics Recycling Collection Event Location: Parking Lot B5 Event Date: Wednesday, March 18, 10:00 AM Cost: FREE URL: http://tinyurl.com/ur-ewaste
- Congratulations on many years of outstanding service!
- Friendly reminder!!
- Open Session Dates for the URPD Women's Self-Defense Classes – March 25th & April 1st. Sign Up at http://police.richmond.edu/forms/self-defense-sign-up.html
- Women's Self Defense classes for spring semester now open for registration. http://police.richmond.edu/forms/self-defense-sign-up.html
- Good Luck Spiders!
- Congratulations to our very own UREMS team for placing first in the skills competition for the National Collegiate Emergency Medical Services Foundation!
- Thanks to all who participated in this great event for a great cause!!
- Bbrrrave the #RVAPolarPlunge with URPD and more to support the Special Olympics. Details at polarplunge.com/RVA. Earn great prizes like custom bowties for your fundraising efforts! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRE5755CDfI
- Is your student organization looking for a great opportunity to give back to the community? Join URPD in participating in the RVA Polar Plunge supporting the Special Olympics. Visit polarplunge.com/RVA for more details. You can give, compete or volunteer!
- Due to the upcoming cold weather, if your automobile will not start you can contact the UR police department to help you get your automobile started again. UR Police 804-289-8715.
- Call 511 from any phone or visit www.511virginia.org for the latest info.
URAlert on Twitter
- Tornado Drill beginning at 12:55 pm. Please seek shelter in posted locations or lowest level of nearby building. Thanks for participating.
- RT @urichmond: Be Smart. Take Part. Prepare. #stormsafety #rvawx #prepareathon http://t.co/LvAimLUXQh @uralert
- The results are in...We beat VCU in the National Preparedness Month Social Media Challenge. Way to be #SpiderReady! @urichmond
- A lert visited VCU. No surprise he found out even in Ram country people are #SpiderReady! @urichmond @URichmondMag http://t.co/mLVBTygwpP
- Even though it is the last day of the SM challenge against VCU there is still time to spread the word! #SpiderReady
- Is your name on the 2014 Atlantic storm list? http://t.co/ViAPZwsRNh Hurricane season ends Nov. 30. Be #SpiderReady! @urichmond
- RT @imjoeboe: MT @uralert: Get a kit, make a plan, stay informed. @RCDeansOffice is #SpiderReady, too!
- Get a kit, make a plan, stay informed. All of our schools are #SpiderReady @richmondas @UR_RobinsSchool @URLawSchool @JepsonSchool @urscs
- RT @VDEM: For Nat’l Preparedness Month, enter to win a Red Cross preparedness kit by taking a selfie with #GetReadyVa #NatlPrep http://t.co…
- RT @Readygov: A7: Severe Weather impacts every state. Know the risk in your area! Visit: http://t.co/YnwmUw5Q6w #PrepareChat http://t.co/Ev…
- With rain on the way remember not to drive through flood waters. Turn around, don't drown! #SpiderReady @urichmond http://t.co/7YNSUHxqUa
- RT @smokey_bear: The #PrepareChat #PrepareAthon is going on right now. Learn more about what you can do to prepare for wildfires and other …
- Seniors: You never know what tomorrow will bring…https://t.co/93e5FIncrN @RCDeansOffice @WesthamptonColl #SpiderReady
- RT @ghonickel: Lorelei and I are #spiderReady with @urALert #AdventuresWithLorelei http://t.co/dTDPcWnysH
- RT @RCDeansOffice: Are you #SpiderReady? Gary, one of our Area Coordinators, and his 1 month old daughter are! @URAlert http://t.co/h8xraPf…
- Join us on the Forum. @VirginiaDMV is here along with @URPolice @HenricoPolice, @VirginiaABC and @DRIVESMARTVA
- Help us name the lert by submitting your suggestions here or on Facebook https://t.co/bYMGb9cnho #SpiderReady
- Today is the day before. #SpiderReady
- When things heat up…Make sure you’re always prepared https://t.co/v9q0C7gNiR #SpiderReady
Tornadoes can occur anywhere in the United States. To learn more about tornadoes and what you should do to protect yourself and your property download the How to Prepare for a Tornado guide.
Get hooked in the University of Richmond preparedness web by subscribing to the preparedness listserv.
Director, Emergency Management
Public Safety Department
Safety Services & Risk Management