The Office of Emergency Management instills a culture of preparedness while enhancing and improving the disaster resiliency of the University by mitigating against, preparing for, responding to, and recovering from emergencies.
Meet the Lert
No one knows the true origin of Kurt the Lert. Some say he’s the result of an experiment gone wrong in Gottwald; some say he rose from Westhampton Lake. But what we do know is he seems to look like many of the different animals you might see around campus, all rolled into one. You can see some deer, fox, duck, and squirrel, and maybe a little superhero in there. But the most important thing is that he is alert. He’s prepared for any hazard he may encounter — whether it’s ice and snow or wind and tornadoes, Kurt the Lert is ready.
Are you alert?
UR Public Safety on Facebook
- Governor Terry McAuliffe has proclaimed Nov. 29 through Dec. 5 as Winter Preparedness Week in Virginia, which serves as a reminder to prepare now before severe weather arrives.
- Fire extinguisher training while at UR Public Safety vehicle safety check day
- Come out and support our Spider seniors and the rest of the team. Weather is great,a short walk from the residence halls, no excuses
- Vehicle Safety Day coming up on Friday, November 20, from 11am-4pm in Parking Lot B5 (Across from Robins Center). Tire pressure checked Fluid topped off Lights checked and more Free PIZZA and drinks!
- Mobile phone users! Get one-tap access to weather.gov You can access NWS forecasts and warnings with a single tap on your mobile phone! Follow these easy steps for Android and iPhone users. Have a different mobile platform? Visit our mobile page for more options.
- This is a test of UR Alert, a component of the University of Richmond Emergency Notification System. During an actual emergency, information about the incident as well as actions to be taken would be included. Visit alert.richmond.edu for additional information. Again, this is only a test.
- URPD would like to thank and recognize Sgt. Randy Baran for his efforts in supporting the Law Enforcement Torch Run and Virginia Special Olympics at the University of Richmond David M. McCoy
- UR will test the emergency notification system on Monday, November 2, 2015 at 2:55 p.m. If you are on campus, you may hear the Outdoor Warning System siren. Additionally, UR Alert will be fully activated sending messages via voice, text, e-mail, social media, the University website, and digital signs. This is a test of the system only. No action beyond acknowledging the message is necessary.
- Sharing the Road in Virginia offers safety procedures and traffic regulations for all users of Virginia’s roads and paths. This guide will help bicyclists, pedestrians, and motorists safely use Virginia’s transportation network.
- Officer Tim Mihalcoe watches over Trick or Treat Street with the help of Batman and Superwoman.
- Women's self defense class, Wednesday, October 21, 2015 now open for registration. http://police.richmond.edu/forms/self-defense-sign-up.html
URAlert on Twitter
- UR ALERT: This is a test. During an actual emergency, information about the incident as well as actions to be taken would be included.
- Tornado Drill beginning at 12:55 pm. Please seek shelter in posted locations or lowest level of nearby building. Thanks for participating.
- RT @urichmond: Be Smart. Take Part. Prepare. #stormsafety #rvawx #prepareathon http://t.co/LvAimLUXQh @uralert
- The results are in...We beat VCU in the National Preparedness Month Social Media Challenge. Way to be #SpiderReady! @urichmond
- A lert visited VCU. No surprise he found out even in Ram country people are #SpiderReady! @urichmond @URichmondMag http://t.co/mLVBTygwpP
- Even though it is the last day of the SM challenge against VCU there is still time to spread the word! #SpiderReady
- Is your name on the 2014 Atlantic storm list? http://t.co/ViAPZwsRNh Hurricane season ends Nov. 30. Be #SpiderReady! @urichmond
- RT @imjoeboe: MT @uralert: Get a kit, make a plan, stay informed. @RCDeansOffice is #SpiderReady, too!
- Get a kit, make a plan, stay informed. All of our schools are #SpiderReady @richmondas @UR_RobinsSchool @URLawSchool @JepsonSchool @urscs
- RT @VDEM: For Nat’l Preparedness Month, enter to win a Red Cross preparedness kit by taking a selfie with #GetReadyVa #NatlPrep http://t.co…
- RT @Readygov: A7: Severe Weather impacts every state. Know the risk in your area! Visit: http://t.co/YnwmUw5Q6w #PrepareChat http://t.co/Ev…
- With rain on the way remember not to drive through flood waters. Turn around, don't drown! #SpiderReady @urichmond http://t.co/7YNSUHxqUa
- RT @smokey_bear: The #PrepareChat #PrepareAthon is going on right now. Learn more about what you can do to prepare for wildfires and other …
- Seniors: You never know what tomorrow will bring…https://t.co/93e5FIncrN @RCDeansOffice @WesthamptonColl #SpiderReady
- RT @ghonickel: Lorelei and I are #spiderReady with @urALert #AdventuresWithLorelei http://t.co/dTDPcWnysH
- RT @RCDeansOffice: Are you #SpiderReady? Gary, one of our Area Coordinators, and his 1 month old daughter are! @URAlert http://t.co/h8xraPf…
- Join us on the Forum. @VirginiaDMV is here along with @URPolice @HenricoPolice, @VirginiaABC and @DRIVESMARTVA
- Help us name the lert by submitting your suggestions here or on Facebook https://t.co/bYMGb9cnho #SpiderReady
- Today is the day before. #SpiderReady
Hurricane Season is June 1 to November 30. Are you ready? Learn more about hurricanes and what you can do to prepare.
Get hooked in the University of Richmond preparedness web by subscribing to the preparedness listserv.
Director, Emergency Management
Public Safety Department
Safety Services & Risk Management