The Office of Emergency Management instills a culture of preparedness while enhancing and improving the disaster resiliency of the University by mitigating against, preparing for, responding to, and recovering from emergencies.
Meet the Lert
No one knows the true origin of Kurt the Lert. Some say he’s the result of an experiment gone wrong in Gottwald; some say he rose from Westhampton Lake. But what we do know is he seems to look like many of the different animals you might see around campus, all rolled into one. You can see some deer, fox, duck, and squirrel, and maybe a little superhero in there. But the most important thing is that he is alert. He’s prepared for any hazard he may encounter — whether it’s ice and snow or wind and tornadoes, Kurt the Lert is ready.
Are you alert?
UR Public Safety on Facebook
- No one knows the true origin of Kurt the Lert. Some say he’s the result of an experiment gone wrong in Gottwald; some say he rose from Westhampton Lake. But what we do know is he seems to look like many of the different animals you might see around campus, all rolled into one. You can see some deer, fox, duck, and squirrel, and maybe a little superhero in there. But the most important thing is that he is alert. He’s prepared for any hazard he may encounter — whether it’s ice and snow or wind and tornadoes, Kurt the Lert is ready. Are you alert?
- University of Richmond Department of Public Safety supports "Start By Believing"
- Today is the city-wide Start By Believing Campaign! "Start by Believing” is a national campaign directed at how an individual responds when someone shares that they were sexually assaulted. “Start by Believing” encourages a positive supportive response. Stations of volunteers are set up across the city of Richmond today between 10-11 am. Show your support for sexual assault victims by stopping by one of the four stations on campus today between 10-11 am and taking the pledge to believe. Stations will be located at the Forum, the Boatwright Library patio, the Weinstein Center for Rec and Wellness, the patio in front of the Law School, and at UR Downtown. If you can't make it to a station between 10-11 am, you can still take part! … - Log on to http://www.startbybelieving.org and make a commitment (include #rvabelieves in the "I am" box). - Post a picture of yourself with a pledge card (2 options are attached) stating your commitment to believe and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org, or post it on any social media site. - Always include #rvabelieves so that the national campaign can tally the Richmond pledges!
- With the potential for severe thunderstorms, Kurt the Lert reminds you, "When Thunder Roars, Go Indoors!"
- Happy National Public Safety Telecommunicators Week! Thank you for all you do!!
- Officers staying busy at the Vehicle Safety Check in the Special Events lot (B-5) . They'll be there until 4:00PM today. Stop by and have your vehicle's fluid levels, tire pressure, belts, etc. checked.
- DMV 2 GO IS HERE! Officers will be at Courtyard at the Forum from 9:00AM - 4:00PM to assist you with your DMV needs. Apply for or renew your driver's license or ID, get a copy of your driving record or even get a hunting or fishing license. While there be sure to take a spin in the State Farm Drive Smart simulator.
- VEHICLE SAFETY DAY 4/16/2015 Come by Special Events lot (B-5) today, April 16, 2015, from 11 a.m.-4 p.m. and let the University of Richmond Police Department check your vehicle's fluid levels, tire pressure, belts, etc. We will top off all fluid levels absolutely free of charge. We will also treat you to free pizza and drinks. Take advantage of this free event before summer or before that long drive home. For more information, call 289-8715.
- What would you do if there were no mozzarella sticks tonight?
- This dog was found on campus today 4/4/15 wandering around the Robins Stadium near Campus Rd and Boatwright Drive. He did have on a collar and what appeared to be a partial leash that had broken off. If you know who this dog may belong to please contact the URPD at 804-289-8715.
- DMV 2 Go is coming to U of R!
- SPRING CAMPUS SAFETY WALK The University is looking for students to help us out with the Spring Campus Safety Walk on Wednesday, April 15th 2014 starting at 7:30 pm. The Spring Safety Walk is a great way to see the campus in a different light, so to speak. During the event, participants go through a list of possible safety issues, such as lighting, signage, or too much vegetation while also suggesting safety improvements. The walk should last no longer than an hour and a half and is an excellent way to create safety awareness and support crime prevention at U of R. The department is looking for 15 students to assist. The point of contact for this will be email@example.com, if you are interested you can contact me directly. It really is a great experience and your feedback is always welcomed. If you have any questions or wish to attend, please email me.
- URPD is considering a new police patch. The silver on blue is a new style "like" this post if you approve!
- SPEED ENFORCEMENT ZONE Where: Boatwright Drive from B-6 parking lot entrance to Boatwright Entrance to campus. When: April 1 – April 3 Why: This curved section of Boatwright Drive contains 7 pedestrian crossings. Over a three day period last week 80 drivers were stopped for speeding along this section of Boatwright Drive. Every stopped driver received a warning and the average speed was 10+ mph over the posted speed limit. The goal is to slow traffic along the Boatwright Drive corridor. The 80 warnings were provided to raise awareness to the drivers operating on Boatwright Drive. This notice is intended to provide you with information regarding our planned enforcement action so that you can be informed of the 25 mph speed limit along this corridor. As a residential campus lets continue to work together to keep our roadways safe for drivers and pedestrians.
URAlert on Twitter
- Tornado Drill beginning at 12:55 pm. Please seek shelter in posted locations or lowest level of nearby building. Thanks for participating.
- RT @urichmond: Be Smart. Take Part. Prepare. #stormsafety #rvawx #prepareathon http://t.co/LvAimLUXQh @uralert
- The results are in...We beat VCU in the National Preparedness Month Social Media Challenge. Way to be #SpiderReady! @urichmond
- A lert visited VCU. No surprise he found out even in Ram country people are #SpiderReady! @urichmond @URichmondMag http://t.co/mLVBTygwpP
- Even though it is the last day of the SM challenge against VCU there is still time to spread the word! #SpiderReady
- Is your name on the 2014 Atlantic storm list? http://t.co/ViAPZwsRNh Hurricane season ends Nov. 30. Be #SpiderReady! @urichmond
- RT @imjoeboe: MT @uralert: Get a kit, make a plan, stay informed. @RCDeansOffice is #SpiderReady, too!
- Get a kit, make a plan, stay informed. All of our schools are #SpiderReady @richmondas @UR_RobinsSchool @URLawSchool @JepsonSchool @urscs
- RT @VDEM: For Nat’l Preparedness Month, enter to win a Red Cross preparedness kit by taking a selfie with #GetReadyVa #NatlPrep http://t.co…
- RT @Readygov: A7: Severe Weather impacts every state. Know the risk in your area! Visit: http://t.co/YnwmUw5Q6w #PrepareChat http://t.co/Ev…
- With rain on the way remember not to drive through flood waters. Turn around, don't drown! #SpiderReady @urichmond http://t.co/7YNSUHxqUa
- RT @smokey_bear: The #PrepareChat #PrepareAthon is going on right now. Learn more about what you can do to prepare for wildfires and other …
- Seniors: You never know what tomorrow will bring…https://t.co/93e5FIncrN @RCDeansOffice @WesthamptonColl #SpiderReady
- RT @ghonickel: Lorelei and I are #spiderReady with @urALert #AdventuresWithLorelei http://t.co/dTDPcWnysH
- RT @RCDeansOffice: Are you #SpiderReady? Gary, one of our Area Coordinators, and his 1 month old daughter are! @URAlert http://t.co/h8xraPf…
- Join us on the Forum. @VirginiaDMV is here along with @URPolice @HenricoPolice, @VirginiaABC and @DRIVESMARTVA
- Help us name the lert by submitting your suggestions here or on Facebook https://t.co/bYMGb9cnho #SpiderReady
- Today is the day before. #SpiderReady
- When things heat up…Make sure you’re always prepared https://t.co/v9q0C7gNiR #SpiderReady
Tornadoes can occur anywhere in the United States. To learn more about tornadoes and what you should do to protect yourself and your property download the How to Prepare for a Tornado guide.
Get hooked in the University of Richmond preparedness web by subscribing to the preparedness listserv.
Director, Emergency Management
Public Safety Department
Safety Services & Risk Management