The Office of Emergency Management instills a culture of preparedness while enhancing and improving the disaster resiliency of the University by mitigating against, preparing for, responding to, and recovering from emergencies.
Meet the Lert
No one knows the true origin of Kurt the Lert. Some say he’s the result of an experiment gone wrong in Gottwald; some say he rose from Westhampton Lake. But what we do know is he seems to look like many of the different animals you might see around campus, all rolled into one. You can see some deer, fox, duck, and squirrel, and maybe a little superhero in there. But the most important thing is that he is alert. He’s prepared for any hazard he may encounter — whether it’s ice and snow or wind and tornadoes, Kurt the Lert is ready.
Are you alert?
UR Public Safety on Facebook
- With the threat of thunderstorms this afternoon remember...
- New World Magischola (http://magischola.com/) is a four-day, live-action role-playing (LARP) event where adults participate in costume as wizards at a magical school. We want you to know that Magischola has arranged to use University facilities over the course of the summer -- June 16-19, June 23-26, July 21-24, and July 28-31. New World Magischola participants will be staying in Thomas Hall, Jeter Hall, Robins Hall, and Moore Hall; eating in the Heilman Dining Center; and using classroom space in Ryland Hall, Jepson Hall, and the International Center for each of the four three-day programs. As such, the campus community might encounter participants in masks, robes, and costumes and/or observe smoke in Ryland Hall classrooms or labs. Please be aware that this is part of the Magischola experience and Events, Conferences, and Support Services is working closely with Facilities, URPD, and other campus departments to ensure the safety of all players and the campus community. Event organizers have asked that faculty, staff, and students not interact with participants while they are on campus. If you have any questions about New World Magischola, please contact David Donaldson, operations and summer programs coordinator, at 289-8934 or email@example.com.
- Volunteer to Cheer Your applause and encouragement are an important part of our athletes’ experience, and make competitions more fun for everyone involved. So come cheer your heart out! http://specialolympicsva.org/volunteer/volunteer-to-cheer
- Today marks the official start of the Atlantic hurricane season. Hurricanes are not just powerful gusts of wind ??? they can produce dangerous amounts of rain & flooding, too. Learn how to protect your family and home from all the potential effects of hurricanes at https://www.ready.gov/
- Share The Road. All motorists are reminded to safely "share the road" with motorcycles and to be extra alert to help keep motorcyclists safe. Motorcyclists are reminded to make themselves visible to other motorists.
- The University of Richmond Police Department will be holding a public auction of the below listed unclaimed property per VA Code 15.2-1719 and 15.2-1720. This auction will take place on May 23, 2016, if items have not been claimed by the rightful owner. If you believe any of this property belongs to you, please contact Sgt. Jeff Riley at firstname.lastname@example.org, or Lt. Eric Beatty at email@example.com. Items will be available for public viewing in the lobby of the Wellness Center on May 23, 2016, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.. Bidding will begin on May 23, 2016 at 9 a.m., and will close at 7 p.m. the same day. Only bids posted and time stamped before 7 p.m. will be accepted. Interested parties may place bids remotely by accessing the bid forms linked on the website, or on-site by scanning QR codes affixed to the items up for bid. Winning bidders will be notified on May 24, 2016, and payment and pick-up must be complete by Friday, May 27, 2016, at 5 p.m.. Winning bidders who have not made payment and picked up bicycles by that time will forfeit the item and the next highest bidder will be notified.
- Anyone under 18 years old is banned from using cell phones or any other personal communication devices while driving. Texting is banned for all drivers. In Virginia, it is considered a primary offense, which means police can pull you over if they suspect you of texting while driving. The fine is $125 for the first offense, and $250 for subsequent offenses.
URAlert on Twitter
- Tornado Drill beginning at 9:45 am. Please seek shelter in posted locations or lowest level of nearby building. Thanks for participating.
- UR ALERT: This is a test. During an actual emergency, information about the incident as well as actions to be taken would be included.
- Tornado Drill beginning at 12:55 pm. Please seek shelter in posted locations or lowest level of nearby building. Thanks for participating.
- RT @urichmond: Be Smart. Take Part. Prepare. #stormsafety #rvawx #prepareathon http://t.co/LvAimLUXQh @uralert
- The results are in...We beat VCU in the National Preparedness Month Social Media Challenge. Way to be #SpiderReady! @urichmond
- A lert visited VCU. No surprise he found out even in Ram country people are #SpiderReady! @urichmond @URichmondMag http://t.co/mLVBTygwpP
- Even though it is the last day of the SM challenge against VCU there is still time to spread the word! #SpiderReady
- Is your name on the 2014 Atlantic storm list? http://t.co/ViAPZwsRNh Hurricane season ends Nov. 30. Be #SpiderReady! @urichmond
- RT @imjoeboe: MT @uralert: Get a kit, make a plan, stay informed. @RCDeansOffice is #SpiderReady, too!
- Get a kit, make a plan, stay informed. All of our schools are #SpiderReady @richmondas @UR_RobinsSchool @URLawSchool @JepsonSchool @urscs
- RT @VDEM: For Nat’l Preparedness Month, enter to win a Red Cross preparedness kit by taking a selfie with #GetReadyVa #NatlPrep http://t.co…
- RT @Readygov: A7: Severe Weather impacts every state. Know the risk in your area! Visit: http://t.co/YnwmUw5Q6w #PrepareChat http://t.co/Ev…
- With rain on the way remember not to drive through flood waters. Turn around, don't drown! #SpiderReady @urichmond http://t.co/7YNSUHxqUa
- RT @smokey_bear: The #PrepareChat #PrepareAthon is going on right now. Learn more about what you can do to prepare for wildfires and other …
- Seniors: You never know what tomorrow will bring…https://t.co/93e5FIncrN @RCDeansOffice @WesthamptonColl #SpiderReady
- RT @ghonickel: Lorelei and I are #spiderReady with @urALert #AdventuresWithLorelei http://t.co/dTDPcWnysH
- RT @RCDeansOffice: Are you #SpiderReady? Gary, one of our Area Coordinators, and his 1 month old daughter are! @URAlert http://t.co/h8xraPf…
- Join us on the Forum. @VirginiaDMV is here along with @URPolice @HenricoPolice, @VirginiaABC and @DRIVESMARTVA