The Office of Emergency Management instills a culture of preparedness while enhancing and improving the disaster resiliency of the University by mitigating against, preparing for, responding to, and recovering from emergencies.
Meet the Lert
No one knows the true origin of Kurt the Lert. Some say he’s the result of an experiment gone wrong in Gottwald; some say he rose from Westhampton Lake. But what we do know is he seems to look like many of the different animals you might see around campus, all rolled into one. You can see some deer, fox, duck, and squirrel, and maybe a little superhero in there. But the most important thing is that he is alert. He’s prepared for any hazard he may encounter — whether it’s ice and snow or wind and tornadoes, Kurt the Lert is ready.
Are you alert?
UR Public Safety on Facebook
- A friendly reminder for this fall!!
- As of July 8, 17 people have died from lightning strikes this year in the US. All of these deaths were avoidable. Remember to go indoors when thunder roars. For more information about lightning safety visit http://www.weather.gov/lightning
- Congratulations to Officer Dave Johnson on winning the gold in the World Police & Fire Games!
- What is an ATM skimmer? How to Avoid being Skimmed - Inspect the ATM, gas pump, or credit card reader before using it…be suspicious if you see anything loose, crooked, or damaged, or if you notice scratches or adhesive/tape residue. - When entering your PIN, block the keypad with your other hand to prevent possible hidden cameras from recording your number. - If possible, use an ATM at an inside location (less access for criminals to install skimmers). - Be careful of ATMs in tourist areas…they are a popular target of skimmers. - If your card isn’t returned after the transaction or after hitting “cancel,” immediately contact the financial institution that issued the card.
- The University of Richmond Department of Public Safety would like to wish UR Officer Dave Johnson the best of luck as he participates in World Police & Fire Games this weekend.
- Here are some helpful tips for today's high temperatures. Staying cool, hydrated and informed can save lives!
- Hurricane season has started? Are you prepared?
- There is still time to take advantage of Virginia's Hurricane Preparedness Sales Tax Holiday!
- It's National Hurricane Preparedness Week. Are you ready? #ItOnlyTakesOne Visit preparedness.richmond.edu for information on how to prepare for a hurricane.
- June 12 the Virginia Special Olympics Summer Games arrive on campus. Come over and cheer our athletes. Opening Ceremonies and torch lighting occur the evening of June 12 at our Robins Center.
- Summer 2015 has started on Campus, see if you can note the changes at August move-in
- Road closures and construction started again today. Vehicular traffic to the south side (Westhampton College) of campus should use the Westhampton Gate or UR Drive entrances; vehicular traffic to the north side (Richmond College) of campus should use the Gateway Entrance. Please visit http://www.richmond.edu/visit/ for campus maps and directions.
- Congratulations to all of the Spider graduates! We wish you a future full of success and happiness! #SpiderGrad2015
- No one knows the true origin of Kurt the Lert. Some say he’s the result of an experiment gone wrong in Gottwald; some say he rose from Westhampton Lake. But what we do know is he seems to look like many of the different animals you might see around campus, all rolled into one. You can see some deer, fox, duck, and squirrel, and maybe a little superhero in there. But the most important thing is that he is alert. He’s prepared for any hazard he may encounter — whether it’s ice and snow or wind and tornadoes, Kurt the Lert is ready. Are you alert?
- University of Richmond Department of Public Safety supports "Start By Believing"
- Today is the city-wide Start By Believing Campaign! "Start by Believing” is a national campaign directed at how an individual responds when someone shares that they were sexually assaulted. “Start by Believing” encourages a positive supportive response. Stations of volunteers are set up across the city of Richmond today between 10-11 am. Show your support for sexual assault victims by stopping by one of the four stations on campus today between 10-11 am and taking the pledge to believe. Stations will be located at the Forum, the Boatwright Library patio, the Weinstein Center for Rec and Wellness, the patio in front of the Law School, and at UR Downtown. If you can't make it to a station between 10-11 am, you can still take part! … - Log on to http://www.startbybelieving.org and make a commitment (include #rvabelieves in the "I am" box). - Post a picture of yourself with a pledge card (2 options are attached) stating your commitment to believe and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org, or post it on any social media site. - Always include #rvabelieves so that the national campaign can tally the Richmond pledges!
URAlert on Twitter
- Tornado Drill beginning at 12:55 pm. Please seek shelter in posted locations or lowest level of nearby building. Thanks for participating.
- RT @urichmond: Be Smart. Take Part. Prepare. #stormsafety #rvawx #prepareathon http://t.co/LvAimLUXQh @uralert
- The results are in...We beat VCU in the National Preparedness Month Social Media Challenge. Way to be #SpiderReady! @urichmond
- A lert visited VCU. No surprise he found out even in Ram country people are #SpiderReady! @urichmond @URichmondMag http://t.co/mLVBTygwpP
- Even though it is the last day of the SM challenge against VCU there is still time to spread the word! #SpiderReady
- Is your name on the 2014 Atlantic storm list? http://t.co/ViAPZwsRNh Hurricane season ends Nov. 30. Be #SpiderReady! @urichmond
- RT @imjoeboe: MT @uralert: Get a kit, make a plan, stay informed. @RCDeansOffice is #SpiderReady, too!
- Get a kit, make a plan, stay informed. All of our schools are #SpiderReady @richmondas @UR_RobinsSchool @URLawSchool @JepsonSchool @urscs
- RT @VDEM: For Nat’l Preparedness Month, enter to win a Red Cross preparedness kit by taking a selfie with #GetReadyVa #NatlPrep http://t.co…
- RT @Readygov: A7: Severe Weather impacts every state. Know the risk in your area! Visit: http://t.co/YnwmUw5Q6w #PrepareChat http://t.co/Ev…
- With rain on the way remember not to drive through flood waters. Turn around, don't drown! #SpiderReady @urichmond http://t.co/7YNSUHxqUa
- RT @smokey_bear: The #PrepareChat #PrepareAthon is going on right now. Learn more about what you can do to prepare for wildfires and other …
- Seniors: You never know what tomorrow will bring…https://t.co/93e5FIncrN @RCDeansOffice @WesthamptonColl #SpiderReady
- RT @ghonickel: Lorelei and I are #spiderReady with @urALert #AdventuresWithLorelei http://t.co/dTDPcWnysH
- RT @RCDeansOffice: Are you #SpiderReady? Gary, one of our Area Coordinators, and his 1 month old daughter are! @URAlert http://t.co/h8xraPf…
- Join us on the Forum. @VirginiaDMV is here along with @URPolice @HenricoPolice, @VirginiaABC and @DRIVESMARTVA
- Help us name the lert by submitting your suggestions here or on Facebook https://t.co/bYMGb9cnho #SpiderReady
- Today is the day before. #SpiderReady
- When things heat up…Make sure you’re always prepared https://t.co/v9q0C7gNiR #SpiderReady
Hurricane Season is June 1 to November 30. Are you ready? Learn more about hurricanes and what you can do to prepare.
Get hooked in the University of Richmond preparedness web by subscribing to the preparedness listserv.
Director, Emergency Management
Public Safety Department
Safety Services & Risk Management