The Office of Emergency Management instills a culture of preparedness while enhancing and improving the disaster resiliency of the University by mitigating against, preparing for, responding to, and recovering from emergencies.
Meet the Lert
No one knows the true origin of Kurt the Lert. Some say he’s the result of an experiment gone wrong in Gottwald; some say he rose from Westhampton Lake. But what we do know is he seems to look like many of the different animals you might see around campus, all rolled into one. You can see some deer, fox, duck, and squirrel, and maybe a little superhero in there. But the most important thing is that he is alert. He’s prepared for any hazard he may encounter — whether it’s ice and snow or wind and tornadoes, Kurt the Lert is ready.
Are you alert?
UR Public Safety on Facebook
- October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month, let's take a stand!!
- There is a Flood Watch in effect from 8 pm today through 8 pm on Saturday. A Flood Watch means there is a potential for flooding based on current forecasts. Remember, do not attempt to drive through flood water on a road. Turn around, don't drown.
- Probably a good time for a review. #URAlert #SpiderReady #OneRichmond http://www.ready.gov/hurricanes http://alert.richmond.edu/
- The University of Richmond will host the official start of the UCI Men's Elite Road Race on Sunday, Sept. 27. Due to the race logistics, several campus parking lots and roadways will be closed or have limited available parking. Please make note of the following: SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 27 All parking lots located along Gateway Road (R8 - R11), will close at midnight (12:01 a.m.) on Sunday, Sept. 27. All Gateway Road lots are reserved for UCI-related vehicles only. TOWING WILL BE ENFORCED IF WE ARE UNABLE TO CONTACT THE REGISTERED OWNER. All parking spaces along Richmond Way from Lakeview Lane to Gateway Road (R19, R21) will close at midnight (12:01 a.m.) on Sunday, Sept. 27. TOWING WILL BE ENFORCED IF WE ARE UNABLE TO CONTACT THE REGISTERED OWNER. Students assigned a K permit within R16, Lakeview Lane will need to relocate their vehicle to B6 (X-Lot) by midnight (12:01 a.m.) on Sunday, Sept. 27. This is required due to race-related activities and additional race requirements. TOWING MAY BE ENFORCED TO SUPPORT RACE DAY ACTIVITIES. Richmond Way will be closed from 7:45 a.m. until all race participants exit the university campus. WHERE TO PARK Faculty, staff, and off-campus students who are not coming to campus to enjoy the race are encouraged to avoid campus until at least 9:30 a.m. on Sunday, Sept. 27. Employees coming to watch the race should park in lot R20, B4, W26, or W27. Once lots fill, please park in one of the lots reserved for community members, B1, B2, B3, and B5 near Robins Stadium or R22 and R23 near the Law School. Please refer to the campus parking map at http://www.richmond.edu/visit/maps/print/parking.pdf. For more information, visit http://www.richmond.edu/richmond2015/.
- Anyone excited about the 2015 UCI Road World Championships starting their last race from the campus of the University of Richmond? http://navigate.richmond2015.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Navigate-the-Worlds-Roads-Guide-September-27.pdf
- Come by Tyler Haynes Commons today to meet with Officer Joseph Goss at the Traffic Table between 12 PM and 2 PM. Today's topic will be Bicycle Safety!
- Frequently Asked Questions #UCI #UCI2015 #Richmond2015 http://richmond2015.com/about/courses/faq/
- 2015 National Preparedness Month Don't Wait. Communicate. Make Your Emergency Plan Today. Week 3 is upon us: September 13-19th Hurricane Preparedness Week Are you ready? #NatlPrep #OneRichmond #URAlert http://www.ready.gov/make-a-plan
- URPD has a new patch. How do you like it?
URAlert on Twitter
- Tornado Drill beginning at 12:55 pm. Please seek shelter in posted locations or lowest level of nearby building. Thanks for participating.
- RT @urichmond: Be Smart. Take Part. Prepare. #stormsafety #rvawx #prepareathon http://t.co/LvAimLUXQh @uralert
- The results are in...We beat VCU in the National Preparedness Month Social Media Challenge. Way to be #SpiderReady! @urichmond
- A lert visited VCU. No surprise he found out even in Ram country people are #SpiderReady! @urichmond @URichmondMag http://t.co/mLVBTygwpP
- Even though it is the last day of the SM challenge against VCU there is still time to spread the word! #SpiderReady
- Is your name on the 2014 Atlantic storm list? http://t.co/ViAPZwsRNh Hurricane season ends Nov. 30. Be #SpiderReady! @urichmond
- RT @imjoeboe: MT @uralert: Get a kit, make a plan, stay informed. @RCDeansOffice is #SpiderReady, too!
- Get a kit, make a plan, stay informed. All of our schools are #SpiderReady @richmondas @UR_RobinsSchool @URLawSchool @JepsonSchool @urscs
- RT @VDEM: For Nat’l Preparedness Month, enter to win a Red Cross preparedness kit by taking a selfie with #GetReadyVa #NatlPrep http://t.co…
- RT @Readygov: A7: Severe Weather impacts every state. Know the risk in your area! Visit: http://t.co/YnwmUw5Q6w #PrepareChat http://t.co/Ev…
- With rain on the way remember not to drive through flood waters. Turn around, don't drown! #SpiderReady @urichmond http://t.co/7YNSUHxqUa
- RT @smokey_bear: The #PrepareChat #PrepareAthon is going on right now. Learn more about what you can do to prepare for wildfires and other …
- Seniors: You never know what tomorrow will bring…https://t.co/93e5FIncrN @RCDeansOffice @WesthamptonColl #SpiderReady
- RT @ghonickel: Lorelei and I are #spiderReady with @urALert #AdventuresWithLorelei http://t.co/dTDPcWnysH
- RT @RCDeansOffice: Are you #SpiderReady? Gary, one of our Area Coordinators, and his 1 month old daughter are! @URAlert http://t.co/h8xraPf…
- Join us on the Forum. @VirginiaDMV is here along with @URPolice @HenricoPolice, @VirginiaABC and @DRIVESMARTVA
- Help us name the lert by submitting your suggestions here or on Facebook https://t.co/bYMGb9cnho #SpiderReady
- Today is the day before. #SpiderReady
- When things heat up…Make sure you’re always prepared https://t.co/v9q0C7gNiR #SpiderReady
Hurricane Season is June 1 to November 30. Are you ready? Learn more about hurricanes and what you can do to prepare.
Get hooked in the University of Richmond preparedness web by subscribing to the preparedness listserv.
Director, Emergency Management
Public Safety Department
Safety Services & Risk Management